April 29 2020
This particular article interested me. I decided a while ago that the corporate world was not for me and pursued freelancing to give me some flexibility with travelling.
My laptop is literally my office and as long as I have the internet, I am set.
However, one issue persists when travelling, you find yourself in a new place with a new desk height and a new chair that doesn’t meet your comfort requirements…ergonomics is paramount for comfort & health!
Combine that with spending many hours staring at your screen resulting in sore eyes. Neck and back pain setting in. Feeling overall stiffness.
- 1 6 More Reasons To Consider A Laptop Stand
- 2 Factors To Consider Before Buying An Adjustable Laptop Stand?
- 3 Which Are The Best Priced Stands For My Needs?
One such solution is an ergonomic portable laptop stand and depending on which one you select, it can help with posture, reduce muscle strain and eliminate pain in the upper back, neck, shoulders, hands, wrists, and arms.
… and it can even help your laptop’s health and performance by allowing free flowing ventilation.
6 More Reasons To Consider A Laptop Stand
- External Monitor: If using an external monitor with your laptop, it’s important to have both screens at similar levels to prevent neck & eye strain.
- Air Ventilation: Portable stands usually raise your laptop above your tabletop, this allows for more ventilation / cooling for your machine which increases its life span and performance.
- Portability: Most laptop stands are light and foldable. Just like a laptop you can transport it to your next destination.
- Posture & Pain: Having a laptop at desktop height means arching your back to type. This can cause more than just back problems, including, neck, shoulders, hands, wrists and arm pains. An adjustable laptop stand allows you to position your laptop at a height that is somewhere between the ideal monitor height (center of the screen at eye level)
- Screen Angle & Glare: Direct and constant glare can lead to eye strain. Ergonomic laptop stands for desks can help you position the angle so your eyes don’t get the full brunt of light… think about this, you only have one set of eyes.
- Space Management: Think about it, you can reduce desktop clutter but placing your cables, mouse, keyboard etc under your stand.
Factors To Consider Before Buying An Adjustable Laptop Stand?
There are a few factors to consider before buying a portable laptop stand for your laptop. Some of which may not be that obvious until after you made your purchase. To prevent you from making that mistake, I have 5 things to consider before hand.
- Size Match
- Portability / Foldability
- Setting Up Process
- Material & Durability
- Stability & Sturdiness
Let’s expand a little more on these four factors.
Compatibility & Size
Laptops and stands come in different sizes, therefore, it’s vital the stand you buy isn’t too small for your laptop size and shape.
When choosing a portable laptop stand, many on the market are adjustable and made to fit laptops of many shapes and sizes… there should be no problems finding the one suited for your needs.
Portability & Foldability
Let’s be honest, a laptop is a portable machine designed to be carried from destination to destination. Therefore it goes without saying that a stand should be portable too!
If like me you travel plenty, it’s important your stand can fold up nicely or be as slimline as possible to save much needed space for when you embark on your journey to other parts of the world. This is why they are sometimes called travel laptop stands, but not all are as portable as they may first appear.
Adjustability & Set Up Process
Many stands are solid units and all that’s required is to place your laptop on top of them (no setting up required). These units tend to be the most solid as they are one piece and have no moving parts to them. The downside, they aren’t foldable and tend to take up too much space while travelling.
On the other hand, stands that are foldable / have moveable parts may require some thinking in terms of how to set them up and although this isn’t rocket science, some designs may be annoying to set up.
Material & Durability
Disclaimer: As always stated, I can’t test all products that are recommended on this list, as I simply do not have the funds, nor would I know what to do with all these laptops stands as a result… but I do take time in doing my research on each.
Here are my recommended list of which I think are the best, but again “best” means taking price into consideration.
Stability & Sturdiness
Many of the above factors will directly influence how sturdy your laptop stand ends up being.
The use of cheap materials such as thin metals or plastics can make your stand feel wobbly and likewise, the same thing can happen depending on how many moving parts the stand hands.
Adjustability and portability are great things but laptop stands that are once solid piece are more sturdy… something you want when you are pounding away at your keyboard!
Which Are The Best Priced Stands For My Needs?
Before we start, as always a little disclaimer: I haven’t physically tested all these laptop stands / trays, it would be very hard to do so and very costly to test out all products. I do however, spend time researching each product so you don’t have to.
So without further ado, here are my recommended laptop stands that can bring you comfort, keep aches & pain at bay, reduce glare to the eyes and can even look stylish on your desk.
Oh and before we continue, most mentioned here are designed for desk use rather than a tray used for resting horizontally on a sofa… ah what a way to work!
With a load-bearing of 44 lbs (20 kg), you will be sure it will hold in place any laptop weight. Further to this you can incline the base at different angles while being able to elevate / lower to your required height.
The aluminium frame doesn’t only provide strength & durability while being light-weight, but will absorb laptop heat and then reflect it for instant cooling effect. There is also a hole cut out on the tray that provides even more ventilation and lightness.
The tray is designed to hold a variety of laptops up to 17-inches. So you’ll be sure your MacBooks, HP, ASUS and Lenovos (plus many more) will fit snuggly.
- Can handle heavy loads
- Able to position screen to almost any angle / height
- Sturdy, strong and durable
- Solid unit and might be a little heavy for your travels
- Requires a little oomph to get hinges moving
This baby has a stylish aluminium design that most MacBook users will recognise and love. This stand compliments the look and feel of Mac users and more importantly is solid.
There are no moving parts to this stand, so little can go wrong with it, but that also means no foldable capabilities and therefore not easy to travel with.
- Solid & sturdy design
- Stylish, having an Apple feel to it
- Weight makes it hard to knock over
- Known cases of rubber bumpers coming loose
- Slight bouncing effect when typing
This baby is impressive inasmuch as the way it can fold away into the tiniest of areas (11″ x 2″).
To top it off, it’s adjustability is second to none with 6 levels of height adjustments, so that you can find optimum comfort.
- Sturdy & secure design
- Minimal metal provides more cooling for laptop
- Folds compactly into a 11×2 inch area
- Some complaints that lip holding laptop in place should be angled more
- Some wish it opened wider for larger laptops